Lubricants, whether they are oil or grease, are essential if you want to get your bicycle up and running again. Some lubricants are more suitable than others. For example, the type of lubricant that is ideal for your bike may not necessarily be suitable for another.
Here are ten best selling bicycle chain oil lubricants:
Table of Contents
- 1 Finish Line 1Step Bicycle Lubricant 4oz Squeeze Bottle
- 2 Finish Line Dry Bicycle - 4oz Squeeze Bottle
- 3 WD40 Specialist Bike Chain Chain Lube, 6 OZ
- 4 Boeshield T9 Bicycle Chain Liquid, Original Version 122183
- 5 Finish Line WET Bicycle Drip Squeeze Bottle
- 6 TriFlow TF0021060 Superior Lubricant Lubricant Drip Bottle- 6 Oz
- 7 DuPont Teflon ChainSaver Dry Lubricant, 11-Ounce
- 8 Rock N Roll 135816 Lubricant, 4-Ounce
- 9 Pro Gold Products ProGold ProLink Chain Lube, 4oz
- 10 JNUYISW Bike Chain Oiler Lubricant Bicycle Care Tool Green
Types Of Bike Chain Oil
There are many different types of bicycle chain oil lubricants available and as you may be aware there is one type that will be suitable for every make and model of bicycle. It’s vital to understand that there is more than one type of lubricant that can be used on a bicycle.
For instance, greases oil is a cheap and easy to find a lubricant but is very low quality and prone to clogging and other problems. The main problem is that it will only work well with a certain type of lubricant and as soon as your bicycle stops using the oil then the grease starts to dry and harden and will require replacement.
Grease can also cause problems with your chainset. For example, grease will become saturated with oil and as a result will begin to expand. This causes the chains to slip or bind, which in turn causes the brakes to work harder. A lot of people believe that grease causes more problems than it solves.
Another popular type of bicycle chain oil lubricant is called silicon. It is slightly more expensive than grease but is far superior to oil. This is because silicon lubricants are more resistant to heat and friction, which means that your bicycle will last longer and perform more smoothly.
Another common type of bicycle chain oil lubricant is known as mineral oil. It is highly recommended against since it has a tendency to clog and make the bike noisy. It is also quite cheap, but it is unlikely to be replaced when your chainsets need replacing.
Water Based Lubricant
One of the more popular types of lubricant used on bikes is water based lubricants. Water based lubricants are great as they have the added benefit of not being too slippery when cold and wet. Also, the best water based lubricants can give your chainsets a much smoother ride. and you’ll find that your chainsets last much longer.
Other Things To Consider
If you have decided to use one of these types of lubricants, then it’s important that you check your bike regularly so that you don’t end up having to change the oil too often. If you do change your lubricant too often then you risk over-loading your chain.
You should also check your bike from time to time for any wear and tear. It may seem strange to check the chain for wear and tear, but this is important to prevent damage from occurring. If your chain becomes dirty, it can rub against the chainset, which can cause damage.
Other things to check for in order to determine whether your chain needs to change are the chain’s tension, how tight the chain is, how often it rubs against the chains and how long the chain wears. Some lubricants do have a ‘wear’ indicator built into them, so if you find that you need to change your chain oil frequently it is probably because the lubricant is wearing out. and so you should look at your chain for signs of wear.
It’s also important to ensure that you always keep your chain oil clean and free of dirt and dust. Dirty chains and dirt are a prime breeding ground for bacteria, which can cause premature wear and tear. Cleaning your chain oil regularly, can also prevent the growth of bacteria that can cause dirt and bacteria.
How often Should you change your chain oil?
It is advisable to change your chain oil once every 3 months, which means making sure you use the recommended amount. You don’t want to over-oil your chain, as this can cause it to wear out faster.
Always read the back of your lubricant and be sure that it says what the appropriate amount is. If it doesn’t, then it may be worth changing your chain oil and then changing the grease to avoid damage to the chain. If you have no clue what the correct amount is then you can get help from a professional.
10 Best Bike Chain Lubricants
- one 4-ounce squeeze bottler of 1-step wet-style cleaner an lubricant
- fast and easy--penetrates and flushes old lube and contaminants out and lubricates with each new application
- whenever chain is dry or dirty, just apply and you're ready to go ride
- goes on wet and sets up with a dry 'wax-like' synthetic film that helps keep your chain clean by not absorbing excessive amounts grit, grime, or dust.
- thanks to the added teflon fluoropolymer, finish line's dry lube minimizes pedaling friction, repels moisture, and withstands rides up to 100 miles.
- dry lube is especially recommended for riding on or off-road in dry, dirty, dusty environments, yet it holds up well in moderately wet conditions.
- apply this lubricant to your bike chain for high-performing lubrication for dry, wet, or varying conditions. the fast and easy-to-use formula helps prevent squeaks and extends the life of your chain
- this formula contains corrosion inhibitors for long-term optimal chain performance
- prevents friction damage and helps extend chain life for your bike. the no-wax formula will not build up inside chain links and drivetrain. ride with chains you can trust in both dry and wet conditions
- wet, dry or in dirt, serious cyclists rely on one product to clean, lubricate and protect—boeshield t-9 does it all
- lubricate your bike chain, waterproof cables, and prevent rust with our effective all-in-one formula
- loosens rusty and corroded parts and is safe on paints, any metal surfaces, plastics, and vinyls
- the most used cycling lubrication in the world
- made using the highest quality ingredients.
- greatly reduces drivetrain and bearing friction
- special additives displace moisture and prevent rust and corrosion
- excellent for chains, pivot joints, and for loosening rusted and corroded nuts and bolts
- high-grade petroleum oils provide optimum lubrication under extreme temperatures and humidity
- no fling-off and o-ring safe
- dirt-resistant dry lubricant
- contains teflon and moly for wear protection
- all-purpose lube for mountain or road bikes
- cleans and lubricates simultaneously
- the legendary smoothness and quietness of this lube just went to a new level
- sheds dirt, mud and abrasives
- repels moisture and reduces oxidation/corrosion
- desperses water and resists wash-off
- 🚲 lubricate your chain in seconds 🚲: first of all, you need to pour the oil on the oiler, then clamp the bicycle chain oiler between your fingers, align the bicycle chain, there is no direction requirement, and turn the pedal 2-4 times, the oil can be automatically evenly transport to the chain. in just a few seconds, your bike is ready for the next ride.
- 🚲 clean and secure 🚲: never worry about dirty fingers or splashed oil. when you put bike chain lube kit in your pocket, no oil will splash around, no oil leakage. move it, shake it-nothing will happen.
- 🚲 ingenuity design🚲: the semi-soft lubricating wheel of bicycle chain oiler can perfectly fit the chain. its special design can ensure that internal lubricating wheel rotates under slight pressure on bicycle chain and allows oil to penetrate the chain evenly.